New Life’s Children’s Ministries
Children’s ministry at New Life is dedicated to providing safe, secure environments where children, from the very earliest ages to fifth grade, can learn about the promises of God in Jesus Christ. The various programs encourage positive social interactions with other children and nurturing relationships with adults who model faithful Christian living. Children’s workers undergo background checks and are approved by the elders of the church for service annually. To learn more about child protection at New Life, click here.
Our desire is to disciple our children in the faith. Our curriculum emphasizes the grace of Jesus Christ for all the needs in our lives. At the same time, we use crafts, games, parties, and extra activities outside the classroom to convey the loving community we long for as children of God.
What programs do we offer?
Because of the pandemic this year, we are making adjustments to our programs to keep our children and volunteers safe. We will continue to offer most of our weekly programs, but sometimes with limited space and changes in rooms. Schedules are also impacted from years past as we attempt to spend more time outside and have limited time inside. You can see a more detailed plan for this fall by clicking here.
Sunday mornings nursery care is provided for children 0-2 years old. Our caregivers provide a loving secure environment for our littlest ones in safe, clean rooms.
School of Discipleship
This is for all boys and girls ages 2 to fifth grade. We meet the same time as Adult School of Discipleship. Our current curriculum is The Gospel Project and it teaches through the Old and New Testaments in three years. The children learn that all of God’s word points to Jesus Christ as their Savior.
We provide children’s church during the worship services for children ages 2 years to second grade. Children participate in the beginning of worship with their parents, and are then dismissed to their own classes.
At New Life we welcome all children, including those with special needs and/or disabilities. We realize church can be a challenging environment when families are navigating developmental delays, learning challenges, autism spectrum disorders, anxiety, or severe allergies to name a few. Please contact Beth Anne Lesshafft at bethanne.lesshafft@
Clubs are held on Sunday evenings during the school year for boys and girls, Kindergarten through 5th grade. Parents are invited and encouraged to participate in these programs. Registration for the 2020-21 Kids Clubs is now open. CLICK HERE for more information and to register online.
Coffee and Kids Playgroup
Twice a month we invite parents/caregivers of babies and pre-schoolers to come and spend a morning for play, coffee/tea and conversation. Our only agenda is to get to know each other better, and to allow children a time to play. A light snack and water is also provided for the children. Coffee & Kids is held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 9:30 – 11:00 am in the auditorium.
Every Summer we sponsor our annual “Cubs-in-Motion” and “Kids-in-Motion” day camps. This summer we are planning a full camp on New Life’s property, and it will be held August 2nd-6th . Cubs in Motion is a three-hour morning program for children aged 4-5 or entering kindergarten. Kids-in-Motion is a full-day program for those who have completed kindergarten to those leaving 5th grade. Campers choose either a sports, art or theater track. If the pandemic is still an issue, we may make some modifications. You can sign your children up for Cubs in Motion here. Kids in Motion is full but you can sign up for a wait list here.
Due to the pandemic, last summer we held 12 separate neighborhood Backyard Bible Clubs the last week in July and the first two weeks in August. Each of these groups had games, crafts, and some Bible teaching each day. Here’s a slideshow for you to review.
2021 Kids in Motion & Cubs in Motion Camps
Every Summer we sponsor our annual “Cubs-in-Motion” and “Kids-in-Motion” day camps. This summer we are planning a full camp on New Life’s property, and it will be held August 2nd-6th . Cubs in Motion is a three-hour morning program for children aged 4-5 or entering kindergarten. Kids-in-Motion is a full-day program for those who have completed kindergarten to those leaving 5th grade. Campers choose either a sports, art or theater track. If the pandemic is still an issue, we may make some modifications. You can sign your children up for Cubs in Motion here. Kids in Motion is full but you can sign up for the wait list here.
Parenting Podcast & Videos
Check out our new parenting video series and podcast, “Parenting/Discipleship: Thriving or Surviving?”, which discusses some of the challenges of parenting during the quarantine. Click the links below to watch or listen to each episode:
Episode 1 – Introduction – Watch or Listen
Episode 2 – Parenting in Quarantine Pt. 1 – Watch or Listen
Episode 3 – Parenting in Quarantine Pt. 2 – Watch or Listen
Episode 4 – Parenting in Quarantine Pt. 3 – Watch or Listen
Episode 5 – Fears in Parenting Pt. 1 – Watch or Listen
Episode 6 – Fears in Parenting Pt. 2 – Watch or Listen
Episode 7 – Parenting as Co-Sinners Pt. 1 – Watch or Listen
Episode 8 – Parenting as Co-Sinners Pt. 2 – Watch or Listen
Episode 9 – Parenting as Co-Sinners Pt. 3 – Watch or Listen
Episode 10 – Parenting as Co-Sinners Pt. 4 – Watch or Listen
We Take Child Protection Seriously
To see our full statement on policies and procedures, please click here.
At New Life, we want to protect some of the most vulnerable people in our community – our children. Here’s what we are committed to doing well:
• Fulfill the PA state law by requiring all paid staff to submit to criminal, child abuse registry and FBI fingerprint checks. Checks are renewed for each staff member every 5 years.
• Fulfill the PA state law by requiring all paid staff to take state mandated training to be aware of child abuse issues and fulfill their mandated reporting duties should there be suspected child abuse.
• Require volunteers in our Sunday School, Children’s Church, Kids Clubs, and Youth groups to have attended New Life six months or more and have an oral interview by a staff member regarding their fitness to serve in the position they are seeking.
• Require approval of all volunteers annually by our Session (board of elders).
• Fulfill the PA state law by requiring children and youth volunteers to submit to criminal and child abuse registry background checks, as well as an FBI fingerprint check if they have not lived in PA for the last 10 consecutive years. Checks are renewed once every 5 years.
• Require all volunteers to take training to be aware of child abuse and fulfill their mandated reporting duties should there be suspected child abuse
• Require all our volunteers to receive and read New Life’s Child Protection Policies and Procedures. We expect them to follow the procedures as outlined there.
• We use a check in system which provides unique sticker codes so that children can only be released to authorized adults from Sunday morning or evening activities.